I know I should avoid using clichés in my writing but it’s true: there aren’t enough hours in the day. I enjoy doing so many things. Variety is the spice of life! (oops…) I’m no good at this.

I just have no idea how I’m going to find the time to do everything I’d like to.

Arlo’s first birthday is on Tuesday (11/04/17). I can’t believe it! A whole year with my silly little baby already. Where does the time go? One day soon I’m going to blink and an old man will be looking back at me in the mirror. Scary.

Which has got me thinking how important it is to make the most of life. Sure, everyone knows that already. Who’s going to be on their deathbed saying “hey, d’you know what? I wish I’d worked more.” I think my problem is I want to do too much. I don’t want to dilute anything!

There’s sport – cycling of course, but I can’t help but enjoy running. Sorry. I’ll be honest though, I’m struggling with not being able to go out and exercise whenever I like. Partly due to family and time constraints with Arlo, but also because of work. I recently took on a new role at a company called Ombori. I’ve been working full time for them for a few months now. It’s a young, exciting company and an opportunity I just couldn’t turn down. The problem is I’m still contracted to work for Nordnet. So it’s been extra difficult trying to fit everything in. I will work from around 8 am on Ombori work. Then cook dinner and spend time with Arlo and Angela from 4 pm – 9/10 pm. After which I’ll do another days’ worth of work for Nordnet. If I want to work out, it just means staying up an extra hour or so to make up for it. There’s no way I’m heading out on my bike mid-week during family time. This, of course, hasn’t been easy. It means only getting between four and six hours sleep a night. I’m fine with that — it doesn’t affect my physical abilities. Maybe my recovery, but I’m not exactly training for anything specific at the minute. So it doesn’t matter all that much. Mentally though, it can be difficult to stay focused and creative at times.

Writing is something I love, yet I never manage to dedicate enough time to it. Same with reading. Normal routine would still allow ten minutes with a book before bed… But my new work schedule has spoiled that. Plus I’m one of those people who need to read a chapter in full. I hate putting down a book without being at a proper place to do so. For a while this year I was able to get through a lot of books. I tried to get back into the flow of writing articles for work but lost my motivation. Now it seems sport has taken over again, with most of my free time spent on the bike. I guess as the weather gets nicer and nicer it’s tough to resist. Anyway, with my notice period at Nordnet in its last few days, I hope I can change my priorities again. I decided today that I should develop a section on my website to act as a journal. It’s likely that you’re reading this on there.

You see, I’ve had a few hours to kill today.

I’m sat in Stockholm airport waiting to board one of two flights to take me back home. I’ll be stuck in Frankfurt for a while this evening, which is not ideal, but better than Munich. Then finally on to Manchester and home. There’s an odd atmosphere in Sweden though. It’s the day after the terror attack on Stockholm. You might have seen it on the news in the UK. When we first found out about it, I didn’t want to jump to any conclusions. It could’ve been an accident. Not every bad thing to happen is sinister. Unfortunately, that turned out not to be the case here. I work in a lovely office above Central Station. It’s only a few blocks away from åhlens, the site of the crash, and even closer to the reported gunshots. Around 3 pm we saw a commotion outside… just across the street… In fact outside my hotel of all places. When police and ambulances kept flying past too we knew something serious was happening.

Shortly afterwards news began to break and reports filtered in about what was happening. Our office was in shock. A live stream of the news played for most of the afternoon, the building was evacuated at around 4 pm. Most roads into the city had already closed. Now with remarkable efficiency, the city was to shut down by the authorities. No trains, buses, or tube would run for the rest of the day. My hotel was also locked down and so my friend and colleague Gustaf kindly let me wait it out at his place. We walked a few miles out of the city to his apartment. Picking up some frozen pizzas for dinner en route, and continued to work on the companies rebrand. Well, it was the reason for me being in Stockholm in the first place.*

My walk home later that evening was the quietest I have ever seen a city. All I had for company as I shuffled along the waterside path towards Swedish parliament was a trio of Hares. So big, I actually thought they were foxes at first.

Every road was now guarded by armed police. As was my hotel, although I felt rather relaxed by myself in the city, all things considered.

It’s been wonderful to just sit down, write, and not worry about what’s coming out on the screen. I must do this again sometime.

And so for now, I think I am done. My laptop is almost out of juice. I’ve written just the right amount for me to feel satisfied. Now seems like a good time to grab somewhere to sit and read a book. My choice for this trip is Michael Chabon’s Moonglow. Cya!

*We had a great workshop on Wednesday to discuss the brand direction for Ombori. I won’t write about that just now though. I’ll show you some time instead.